• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Raw Foodism

Changed

Bluelight Crew
I realize we already have a thread for this, but it is a big cluster-fuck mixed with other shit I don't care about

9 months of vegetarianism has convinced me that lacto/ovo vegetarianism isn't that much healthier than the omnivorous alternative. I want to breeze past veganism and straight into raw foodism: grains are starting to irk me. I'd like to focus my raw diet mostly on fruits and vegetables, and less on fat.

So, oh wise raw foodist, enlighten me:
  • what foods should be my staples?
  • do I need to eat more calories than I usually would (I lift/cycle/swim/run a lot)
  • how much should I expect to spend on groceries per week?
  • will I be able to maintain, or even increase muscle mass with only ~10% protein consumption daily?
  • has eating raw hindered your social life & normal living routine?
  • how has your physical composition changed since eating raw? are you more flabby (less defined), but skinnier? less fat and more muscle?
  • do you believe eating raw a fad, or more so a sustainable practice?
  • do you eat raw meats, or not? if so, how do you prepare them? after eating raw meats, do you feel any negative effects?
  • do you partake in alcohol or other recreational drugs while eating raw?
  • do you take supplements while eating raw?
  • how do you get enough Vitamin B? Vitamin D?
  • can you name some online communities focused on raw foodism that would help me start my journey?

This list is pretty extensive, but I know BLHL is a veritable treasure-trove of information, so I wish to exploit you all.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

I realize we already have a thread for this, but it is a big cluster-fuck mixed with other shit I don't care about

9 months of vegetarianism has convinced me that lacto/ovo vegetarianism isn't that much healthier than the omnivorous alternative. I want to breeze past veganism and straight into raw foodism: grains are starting to irk me. I'd like to focus my raw diet mostly on fruits and vegetables, and less on fat.

So, oh wise raw foodist, enlighten me:
  • what foods should be my staples?
  • do I need to eat more calories than I usually would (I lift/cycle/swim/run a lot)
  • how much should I expect to spend on groceries per week?
  • will I be able to maintain, or even increase muscle mass with only ~10% protein consumption daily?
  • has eating raw hindered your social life & normal living routine?
  • how has your physical composition changed since eating raw? are you more flabby (less defined), but skinnier? less fat and more muscle?
  • do you believe eating raw a fad, or more so a sustainable practice?
  • do you eat raw meats, or not? if so, how do you prepare them? after eating raw meats, do you feel any negative effects?
  • do you partake in alcohol or other recreational drugs while eating raw?
  • do you take supplements while eating raw?
  • how do you get enough Vitamin B? Vitamin D?
  • can you name some online communities focused on raw foodism that would help me start my journey?

This list is pretty extensive, but I know BLHL is a veritable treasure-trove of information, so I wish to exploit you all.

Your guidance is greatly appreciated.

I cannot answer all this, as it's really best to

a) Start in a 'living food' home, stay 2 weeks, getting the most gorgeous food, so you'll learn that it actually is more appetizing than the poison stuff. And also it's best to learn everything by example, in there they will show you everything and you get materials. Otherwise most ppl give up. It's difficult to change, and especially if you aren't aware of how wonderful it can taste.
b) Buy a couple of books on the subject
c) Enter a forum or Raw blog. I stay away from other Raw Foodists as I have a hard time with the 'spiritual' clap-trap. "Think positive, love the chemical industry while it's spraying pesticides upon us, we shouldn't be critisizing but loving examples, when they see how filled we are with cosmic love, the will stop and go Raw". Yeah, right. It's pure selfishness, the chemicals are raining down on all of us, but the Raw foods care about their soil, shrug, and let the environmental movement do the job of protesting. It's angry ppl that accomplish changes! Not silly and happy 'cows'.

That was the cry in the 80's and I recently went into a forum to check on them, to see if they were as bad as I remembered it. They were worse, they were filled of spiritual love for each other, several started to eat not at all, they will live on air and light and love. Yes, literally! They are mad. In the 80's it started with positive thinking and Wigmore's phoney worshipping of the mother earth, then it got to the point that 'you can't get cancer without an unhappy childhood' and bullshit like that. All that claptrap killed Raw in the first vawe, now it's a bigger one, and yes everyone hasn't got mad yet. But they will I think.

I have seen several fantastic spectacular health miracles, cures of diabetes, cancer, Alzheimers etc. But I introduced it among friends and family and scared them of the 'nuts' so noone ever started with the positive or spiritual stuff. And the results were as splendid anyway. It's the food, and not the thoughts. You will get more energized and happier, but I personally think that they get some kind of brain damage, cause they are fanatics and you need some animal stuff. That b12 thing is real, you cannot count indians because they get a lot of insects in their food. I and all whom I have helped into Raw, have eaten a yellow egg yolk 3 times a week and a little ecological raw oxen meat twice a week. And noone of us have been crazy. We have cured all our ailments.

You are so right in thinking that vegetarian food isn't much. But Raw is the main thing, not Raw vegetarian. If you don't want to eat anything animal, then at least take a couple of spoons of vitamins, minrals and aminoacids a couple of weeks. Otherwise you will soon - as the corny ones are planning - to bury orange pips in a sacred ceremony in the night, in reverence of the earth goddess...

The most amazing thing about Raw - try also to take an icecold shower in the morning - is that you can detoxify you from horrible amounts of alcohol, heroin and methadone, and not only will you hardly notice your WDs, you will not getting any desire to take drugs at all! Nor coffee, cigarettes etc. It's no struggle at all, you just stop. PPl find this hard to believe, but it's true and it's logical.

Raw oxen meat from ecological farming is the only meat, not pig! Never have I or any other person have had anything wrong with our stomachs. But it must be eco-meat as they get grass and not antibiotics. And if you aren't already eating eco-food, remember that diabetes and the obesity explosion isn't just junkfood, we eat a lot of musli, whole grqain, vegetables etc today, much more than in the 60s. Recently they could show that it was the usual chemical thing, the fatter you were the more DDT in your brain. So if you get into this new Raw thing, beware to take a lot of avocados, nuts ,bananas and stuff like that. I'ts far to much to learn, at least buy a book!

No drugs will you want to take, you can drink a little red ecological wine now and then - it's RAW all right and never heated. You an do nothing better for your health, it's easy to wash up, but before you'll get a routine, it can be a little troublesome. And you must be firm if ppl start to complain "so my cooking isn't good enough etc". I just answered I'm sure it is, but think of me as a kind of diabetic. I was firm because otherwise you'lll give up on account of the pressure. I dont want to recommend any community, I do believe one is less corny, but just google Raw Food forum, and you will be connected to 2 o r 3. Actually the best thing for you is to take it slowly, because if you go to fast, you'll give up. And it gives you so much! Health, perfect health high up in age without getting senile. But as I said, I cannot garantee that without a little animal stuff.

Cheers
Papaverace;);)

best thing i ever did, was raw vegan for 3months, also included urine therapy. get organic fruit and veg, look into correct food combining and food transition times, also fasting is great for your digestive system and body repair etc. i could talk all day about it if you want to message me. i stopped and am kinda battling to go back to raw vegan... it's certainly worth the plunge

I'm into raw vegan food a lot lately.

Get a food dehydrator; and fall in love with avocados and fresh young coconuts.

You can do a lot with mushrooms too.

I'd like to focus my raw diet mostly on fruits and vegetables, and less on fat.

I think what you want to do is great but is there a reason you want to avoid fat? Fat in your diet is pretty important. Avacados, flax, coconut, almonds etc. Healthy fats. SO important. Low fat diets are death.

i struggle if im around other foods, when i move into my own place i'll be fine.

mainly leafy greens.. lettuce, kale, cabbage.. also starchy veg, carrots, peas..

sprouted seeds and grains, look into howto sprout seeds/grains adzuki beans, alfalfa, quinoa.

plenty of food sites online for organic raw foods.. many dried fruit and nuts have been heat dryed so be carefull as well as lots of oats have been chopped and lightly steamed, though some havent, just gotta look around..

juicers are well worth it, mines crap.. spend a bit and use it a lot, good for when your on the go and to just get the juice without fiber, good for fasts and body cleansing, still gotta get ENOUGH fiber when your not fasting to clear your inner walls.. look into the master cleanse... beware bad food combinations,eg.. nuts/fruit/veg dont go well with fruit, fruits good alone in single portions, eg one piece/portion an d when on the move, eg exercise.. greens and oats also when on the move but more moderately exercise, or just green juice after exercise is good for repair. and theres transition times for foods apples, oranges 20-40 mins, bannanas, sweet fruits 60+ etc... there food combining chart on google...

acid alkaline combining, your insided feel muc better with raw food and keeping your inners alkalised.

can goto extremes on all these but trust me, once you have 'cracked it' you will feel fucking fantasticl, like rejuvenated, also did i mention urine therapy, drinking/massaging piss :D EnFuckingJOY... your skin will change rapidly too, clear, like a filmstar

I think what you want to do is great but is there a reason you want to avoid fat? Fat in your diet is pretty important. Avacados, flax, coconut, almonds etc. Healthy fats. SO important. Low fat diets are death.

I don't mean low fat like 0% fat... more around 10-15%.

From what I've heard, avocados and nuts are the bee's knees.

your skin will change rapidly too, clear, like a filmstar

I've already got the skin of Brad Pitt and the hair and abs of Jesus, so I'm not too worried about outward appearances... =D

So, can I get by with just a blender? I'm really poor, so spending hundreds of dollars is not even an option. I'm looking at some of these blenders sub-$100 on Amazon and they look decent. Smoothies ftw... I imagine I could use the blender to grind up nuts and seeds also.

Also, anybody have estimates on cost of groceries per week? I'm starting grad school and budgeted myself $50 a week. I can survive on probably half of that eating a bunch of whole grains and cheap veggies, etc... but eating only fruits/veggies/nuts/superfoods will exceed that budget, right?

If you want to live on raw foods, I recommend investing in a good food processor and a good food dehydrator (most enzymes aren't degraded at dehydration temperature). A blender doesn't make good nut butter, but it makes good smoothies.

Are you on food stamps/EBT? If you can only afford $50/week for food, you might be eligible for food stamps haha.

If you want to live on raw foods, I recommend investing in a good food processor and a good food dehydrator (most enzymes aren't degraded at dehydration temperature). A blender doesn't make good nut butter, but it makes good smoothies.

Are you on food stamps/EBT? If you can only afford $50/week for food, you might be eligible for food stamps haha.

I'm starting grad school in September. I'm not disabled or able to work, so I don't qualify for food stamps. Plus, I don't pay taxes.

I budgeted $50 a week for food in my loans.

What do you guys do for vitamin B? I can't find anything on the internet that isn't scientific babble.

Do you need vitamin B or not? Where the hell do you get it if you're eating raw? Are raw foodists against supplementation (one a day vitamins) or not? Are those types of vitamins even absorbed by the human body?

I think everyone should use supplements... it's silly not to. They're more economical than food.

but if you aren't getting any B-vitamin from your diet, don't the supplements just pass through your body?

I think everyone should use supplements... it's silly not to. They're more economical than food.

I disagree, vitamin b12 levels will be fine, especially if you dont mind eating muddy organic carrots, dont wash your food, eat the peels of fruit etc. sprouted hemp seeds, chia seeds, and again, leafy greens.

your skin can still get better, especially during a good water fast

As far as B vitamins go, I don't know if it's raw or not (probably isn't), but check out Nutritional Yeast. Red Star makes a "good tasting" variety. I have yet to try a "bad tasting" variety, though I've heard they're out there. Be warned though, Nutritional Yeast is def. an acquired taste.

I disagree, vitamin b12 levels will be fine, especially if you dont mind eating muddy organic carrots, dont wash your food, eat the peels of fruit etc. sprouted hemp seeds, chia seeds, and again, leafy greens.

your skin can still get better, especially during a good water fast

I'm not even talking about vegetarians or B12...

Vitamin D is the most important one, I take 5,000IU to 10,000IU per day.

Getting plenty of sunshine > supps. I personally have taken supps and felt they did nothing for me where as a few days in the sun has a major impact on my health. Maybe both would be good, but definitely get sun if you can!

Juicers - In another thread MNIND mentioned that blending then straining through a cloth will give similar results to juicing. On this note, I'm still advocating heavy leafy greens as a protein source.

Sprouting - This seems like a fantastic way of preparing beans and grains for consumption without cooking. http://sproutpeople.com/ is a great link for all things sprouting. All it takes are some mason jars with special lids, and 30 seconds 3 times a day.

IMO prepping food is a pain in the ass. I'd rather choke down big chunks of raw food then spend an hour preparing a big meal that might taste a little bit better.

Also, my friends who run a raw cafe seem to have absolutely boundless amounts of energy..fwiw

Juicing kinda sucks. Why concentrate all the sugars and leave out the fiber?